Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fires all go out eventually

Winter has arrived bringing with it an ice cold wind that makes the house feel like a refrigerator. So I decided to make my first fire of the season to warm the house and our chilled bodies. There is something extremely comforting about a burning fire and just sitting and watching the dancing flames brings peace to both body and mind. Soon everyone felt warm and cosy - too cosy as no one wanted to leave the warmth of the fire-place, which made me realise that as humans we naturally gravitate towards things that warm us - fire, hot chocolate, blankets, our family, hot water bottles, winter sheets, heaters, slippers, thick socks - all these things are necessary as they help us, especially me, remain sane during winter.
I also decided to braai for lunch today, but my enthusiasm was soon replaced by frustration in trying to keep the fire alive. I had to start the fire three times before I finally had a decent fire to braai our wors and steaks on. So we sat outside enjoying our lunch and the light fire of the weak winter sun on our backs when Michael phoned to tell me that his laptop had just been stolen and instantly my fire of hope was extinguished as I realised that it will be a long time before I get to see and speak to my hubby again on Skype - the lifeline of our marriage had now been stolen from us - so now how do we keep our relationship alive when we can't see or speak to each other? So even though the burning fire in the fire place is warming my toes and hands, my heart is cold as my hubby now feels so far away - unreachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment