Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's Always Something

It is Sunday night, the children are finally in bed and I am basking in the peace and quiet that has descended upon my home. Dressed in my winter pajamas and slippers I am marvelling at the fact that I have made it through another week and bracing myself for the start of another hectic one tomorrow.

We had an unwelcomed guest this week - Mr Rat - decided to make his home behind the fridge, but every time I moved the fridge to chase him out he ran under and up the washing machine. So on Friday I decided that he had out stayed his welcome and that it was time to evict him. I first blocked his route to the washing machine, opened the back door and armed the children with brooms to sweep out our visitor. As I moved the fridge he blotted straight for the washing machine, but instead of finding a safe haven his bottom found Ulrich's broom and he landed outside in the courtyard followed by victorious shrieks from the kitchen.

Erin had a potjie tasting competition at school. All the Grade 7's were put into teams - they had to find their own recipe and then bring all the necessary ingredients, potjie pot, cooking utensils and firewood. Thank goodness the rain had stopped so they could start their fire successfully. Erin's team made a chicken and bacon potjie and he said it tasted great. We will find out which team won next week. I did give him an empty container so that he could bring home some for me to taste, but all I got was the dirty potjie pot to clean.

Ulrich was very excited as he finally got selected to play in his first rugby match. I made sure we woke up early on Saturday so that we all could get dressed, have breakfast, pack the car and get to the school on time. He looked so smart in his green and white rugby shirt and couldn't wait to ran out onto the rugby field and play for his school. But alas he never got the chance as the opposing team did not bring their Under 9 team as they said there was no match scheduled for the Under 9's. My little boy was crashed and he fought very hard to not cry in front of all his friends. With a heavy heart he climbed back into the car and we had to wait till after lunch before we saw a smile on his face again. One of the hardest jobs a parent has to do is watch their children face their disappointments in life as your heart brakes for them and you wish you had a magic wand you could wave to make all the unhappy moments in life disappear. But unfortunately it doesn't work like that and all you can do is wipe their tears away, hug them as tight as you can and hope that they will bounce back even stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment