Friday, May 6, 2011

A house is made of walls and beams, a home is built with love and dreams.

Jill Robinson said: 'A house is who you are, not who you ought to be.' Which means, like it or not, the personalities of our homes reflect where we have been and what's going on in our lives right now. That is pretty scary especially if you could see what my house looks like right now. I have always dreamed of living in a clean, orderly house that had a rustic, country look and feel to it - that is still a dream because in reality my house is nothing like that. Most of the decor in our house are hand-me-downs and stuff other people don't want anymore so nothing matches and there is no theme that flows through our house. When I go to other people's homes I get embarrassed about the condition of my house and I keep telling myself 'If only I had the money then I could have a home like this', but there is never any money to redecorate and so the 'dream house' gets put on hold, again. So if I can't do anything about how it looks right now, maybe I can focus on how it feels. I asked Erin if he feels happy when he is at home and without hesitation he said 'yes, being at home makes me feel happy and safe.' So what that our lounge suite is three different colours, that none of the chairs around the dinning room table match and that our grocery cupboard is in fact the warddroppe my hubby made for our little girl - what matters is that my children feel happy, secure and loved in this patchwork house and I hope when people enter my home they will feel of its warmth and think that it is interesting and unique just like us. I may not be able to give my family a beautiful, stylish home now, but I can create a loving haven for them.
I am grateful for my home as it is all that I truely need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment