Monday, June 13, 2011

One kind word can warm three winter months

For three weeks now I have played nurse to three sick children and it is time to play a different role now. I am tired of the running noses, the coughing, the sneezing, the headaches, the sore chests and bodies; and most of all I am tired of saying over and over again: "Where are your socks? Why are walking around on the cold floor without any shoes? Put your jersey back on!" Winter is not my favourite season as I hate being cold - I feel like a walking ice-block most days. I sometimes think animals have the right idea to hibernate as I could quite easily sleep winter away in my nice warm bed.

Ulrich and I finished his project this week-end on his role-model. He chose as his role-model Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. He had to state six reasons why he admired and looked up to Steve Irwin and it was very interesting listening to the qualities my son likes in a person. The words 'fun', 'exciting', 'brave', 'adventerous', 'courageous' and 'happy' came up often. But I was very impressed when Ulrich wrote that he really likes Steve Irwin because he loved his family and never gave up trying to help the animals in the wild. This reminded me that children admire people because of what they do and not because of the material things they have.

Thank goodness there are only three days of school this week - I love public holidays as I get to turn off the alarm and hibernate for just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment